Jumbo Prawns Balchao (Goan Style)
Jumbo prawns – 500 gms (cleaned and deveined)
Onion – 1 large chopped
Tomato – 2 large (paste)
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp.
Vinegar – 1 tbsp.
Dry chillies – 8-10
Jeera(Cumin) – 1/2 tsp.
Cloves – 4-5
Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder – 2 pinches
Oil – 3 tbsp.
Curry leaf – few
1. Wash and drain prawns, mix them in a pinch of salt and turmeric and toss them in a pan(medium heat) with little oil and keep aside.
2. To prepare masala – Dry roast red chillies, jeera, cloves, cinnamon and grind into a smooth powder, remove into a small bowl and vinegar and ginger garlic paste, and mix well.
3. Heat a pan, add oil and finely chopped onions and curry leaf, fry till transparent and add tomatoes, cover cook till soft for 5 minutes.
4. Open the lid and stir well, when oil seperates add the ground masala paste, fry well till ginger garlic paste loses it’s rawness. Add 2 tbsp. water if needed while frying.
5. At this stage add the tossed prawns along with the liquid and 1/4 cup water and combine well, adjust the seasoning(salt) and cook for 5-8 mins till prawns are done.
6. Transfer into a serving bowl and serve hot.
By Kezia Mary